Date: May 30, 2018
Time: 9:oo AM – 10:00 AM + 15 minute Q&A
Speaker: Wendy Glaser
Pay Equity is a salient topic today as HR professionals face heightened awareness of gender equality issues at work, and private and public sector employers look for ways to close the gender wage gap. Employers play an important role in ensuring that compensation practices are non-discriminatory and provide pay equity for all employees in female job classes. The reality, however, is that many HR professionals do not have a solid understanding of their legal obligations with respect to pay equity and more specifically, what information must be collected, analyzed and maintained. This session will prepare HR and business professionals for a Pay Equity audit by providing them with detailed information about what to expect and how to plan accordingly; from when they first receive a letter from the Pay Equity Commission (Ontario) to yearly maintenance.
Attendees will learn:
- What happens when they receive a monitoring letter from the Pay Equity Commission.
- What documentation they will be asked to provide; How to communicate effectively with a Review Officer; Which departments will have to get involved; How long the process will take.
- The 5 stages of Pay Equity compliance (job classification, job rate calculation, gender determination, evaluation, analysis) and what specific information will be requested and reviewed.
- How to organize their Pay Equity data in an effective and efficient manner so that the monitoring process is uncomplicated and headache-free.
- The types of questions that will be asked and how to field those questions.
- How to gather, organize and maintain their Pay Equity data for future audits.
- The types of tools that are useful in maintaining Pay Equity going forward.
Wendy Glaser, M.Sc., CHRL
Manager, Human Resources Consulting Ontario
Trained in psychology and business administration, Wendy brings experience, insight and academic rigor to the job. She has worked with Ontario and Quebec-based companies and has spearheaded numerous HR mandates from compensation structure development to company-wide engagement surveys. Wendy’s practice in Pay Equity compliance spans across the private, public and not-for-profit sectors for organizations both large and small. Through her experience and knowledge she is able to take a complicated process and make it easy to understand for her clients. Wendy holds a B.A. in Psychology and a certificate in Human Resources Management from McGill University as well as an M.Sc. in Administration from Concordia University. Wendy sits on the Board of Directors and acts as Chair of the Human Resources Committee at JVS, a not-for-profit organization. She is a certified and active member of the Human Resources Professional Association and is located in Toronto, Ontario.