Let your employees know you are thinking about their health. It is an excellent way to boost morale. If you can improve productivity at the same time, this is a bonus for you. Many of these efforts need not be time consuming or expensive. Often the simplest things speak volumes.
When people are under stress or busy they often make unhealthy like sitting at desks (or on the sofa) eating the wrong foods. Making healthier options available is a great way to show you care.
3 Simple actions that tell your employees their well-being matters to you!
1) Give Them Free food!
Not just any food, but inexpensive, healthy, nutritious and naturally tasty food including:
- Fruits such as apples, blueberries, strawberries, pears, grapes and cherries; local and seasonal can be fresh and inexpensive. Of course bananas and oranges are not local across most of Canada but they are popular and inexpensive.
- Raw vegetables such as carrots, peppers, celery, cucumbers, beans, broccoli and cauliflower. Most of these can simply be rinsed and served.
- Trail mix (poker mix). Avoid ones that add too much sugary content, a quick energy burst followed by a quick energy crash does not boost productivity.
- Popcorn. Not the microwaveable kind (which is not inexpensive and may contains unhealthy additives). Invest in a $20 air popcorn popper and buy some popcorn kernels and make this a quick and inexpensive healthy snack.
- Cereal. Not sugary cereal that needs milk to get the snap, crackle, pop, but cereal that can be put in a bowl and eaten with your hand
- Crackers. Employees can bring in their own toppings from home such as low fat cream cheese.
Tip: When buying packaged items do not throw out the packaging many people need to read labels to check on the ingredients.
2) Provide Free Drinks! Not sugary drinks such as soda or sports drinks.
- Provide filtered water by either installing a water filtration system on one primary faucet (the cost may be much less than you thing) or buying in refillable water coolers.
- Offer an array of tea and coffee can be a nice gesture and also provide employees with a healthy alternative to sugary drinks
- 100% juice with no sugar added can also be a viable option. But it is important to consider service size.
Have you thought about Vending Machines?
There are a growing number of vendors offering healthy choice vending machines in Canada. Check them out and see if they would work for your workplace.
3) Get People on Their Feet.
- Replace some (not all) lunch-room tables and chairs with cocktail style tables that allow people to stand and eat
- Add standing desks throughout the workplace encouraging people to stand while working and/or having meetings. Not only is standing often better it can encourage shorter meetings.
- Add outdoor picnic tables. Being outside may not only be a nice change of scenery but it also can inspire more opportunities to walk
Healthier foods and less sitting behind a desk can help to increase productivity by boosting energy leading to clearer thinking and better decision making.