Date: August 16, 2023
Time: 9:00 AM – 10:30 AM PDT
Speaker: Howard Levitt
Join our upcoming webinar on “Understanding the Emergence of Harassment as a Standalone Tort: Implications for Employers” to gain valuable insights into the latest developments in Canadian law regarding workplace harassment. In light of a recent Alberta Court decision, the webinar will delve into the key points and takeaways from the case Alberta Health Services vs. Johnston.
During the webinar, renowned legal expert Howard Levitt will discuss how this landmark case has the potential to open the floodgates for harassment lawsuits. Levitt will analyze the court’s reasoning and the factors that led to the recognition of harassment as a standalone tort, providing a comprehensive understanding of the implications for both employees and employers.
Key takeaways from the webinar will include:
- The significance of the emergence of harassment as a standalone tort in Canadian law.
- The criteria for establishing a successful claim for harassment, including outrageous conduct, intent or reckless disregard, severe emotional distress, and causation.
- The importance of proactive measures for employers in preventing and addressing workplace harassment.
- The potential financial and reputational risks faced by employers who fail to take sufficient steps to address workplace harassment concerns.
- The need for comprehensive anti-harassment policies and procedures, regular employee training, and prompt and effective action in response to harassment complaints.
- The balanced approach between employees’ and employers’ interests, ensuring reasonable limits and thresholds for harassment claims.
- The webinar will also explore the broader context of workplace harassment, including compliance with occupational health and safety and human rights legislation.
Don’t miss this opportunity to stay ahead of the curve and navigate the evolving landscape of workplace harassment. Register now for our webinar and gain the knowledge and tools necessary to protect your organization and foster a respectful and inclusive work environment. Remember, the emergence of harassment as a standalone tort is just one piece of the puzzle, and our webinar will provide insights into the broader issues at hand.
Sign up today and empower yourself with the latest legal insights. Together, let’s create a safer and more inclusive workplace for all.