HR Home Forums Community Reimbursing for Gym memberships and other fitness initiatives

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Hi,
    I am in Manitoba. If we decide to reimburse employees for gym memberships or fitness equipment (up to a certain amount) is this a taxable benefit for them?

Conner Lantz
    Keymaster

Here’s Alan’s reply:
    The short answer is that paying all or a portion of an employee membership in a gym IS a taxable benefit. However, there are two key exceptions:
    One is if the employer holds the membership, paying a fee to the gym that provides access to all employees. This is equivalent to the employer providing the gym facilities directly, which is not itself a taxable benefit.
    The other is if the employer can clearly demonstrate, i.e. prepared to defend itself to the CRA, that it’s the employer who primarily benefits, i.e. at least 50%. This can happen in several different ways. The employer benefit might be sales related, such as networking and business development, or it could be part of a wellness program, with a demonstrated impact on employee absences, use of extended health benefits, etc.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.