HR Home Forums Community Ontario

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Hi there
    We are wondering if we are legally allowed to have an English only (spoken) in the workplace policy. Mostly for inclusion and safety reasons. We have had issues in the past when people think they are being spoken about in another language. Also if there is a safety or other concern all people should know about it and hear about it.

Thanks

Conner Lantz
    Keymaster

You can ALWAYS request that they get tested. In fact, you should make such a request. Whether you can require them to do so is much more problematic. The short answer in this case, I believe, is no.
    As I recall, your in the food processing sector where risks are high and employers are in a stronger position to demand that workers gets tested. The problem is–and I should have picked up on it the other day except I was so caught up in the part about asking if they’ve been vaccinated–that they’re going into isolation for 14 days anyway. As a result, the test result will have no real impact on the health of your workplace and your justification for requiring it (as opposed to recommending it) disappears. The same would be true if you asked them to disclose the results.
    However, you MIGHT have a case for requiring them to get tested after their isolation ends to verify that they’re COVID-free and can safely return to work. But that’s not a slam dunk. Hope that helps and sorry I didn’t really answer it the first time around. Glenn

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.