HR Home Forums Community Injury/Illness/Incident Investigation Reporting for QC

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • Conner Lantz
    Post count: 4836

    Hi There,

    Could you please let me know what are the specific requirements in Quebec when it comes to reporting an injury, Illness or incident?
    Thank you,


    Conner Lantz
    Post count: 4836

    Within Quebec, a work accident is any sudden, unexpected event that occurs at work and results in an injury or illness to the worker(s) involved. The affected employee must have been injured while doing the tasks for which they are employed or while doing tasks other than those they normally do but which are still related to their work.
    Additionally, for these purposes, occupational diseases are also considered to be work-related injuries. An occupational disease is caused by work, either by the work environment or the tasks related to it, and must be specific to or directly related to the risks associated with that work.
    What is the employer’s responsibility?
    Work accidents must be recorded in the Register of Accidents, Incidents and First Aid, which serves as a company’s official documentation of all injuries and illnesses. It is recommended that incidents be recorded even if there were no injuries. The Commission des normes, de l’équité, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail (CNESST) provides a free template in French, but an employer can create their own.
    You must inform the CNESST as soon as possible in any case where:

    • A worker suffered a major trauma (for example, loss of a limb).
    • Several workers were injured and must take time off work.
    • The accident caused property damage of $178,785 or more.
    • The accident resulted in the worker’s death.

    If the affected worker cannot return to work that same day, you must still pay them their full wages. If the worker is absent for up to 14 days, you must pay them 90% of their net wages for those days, not including the day of the accident. You will be able to have this amount reimbursed by CNESST:

    If the worker cannot return to work for more than 14 days, the CNESST will pay them an income replacement indemnity to which they are entitled from the 15th day of absence. All workers are also entitled to submit their own claim with the CNESST to receive a refund for some or all of their medical expenses. In these instances, you should help them complete their Worker’s Claim form.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.