HR Home Forums Community Documents to prove eligibility to work in Canada

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • Conner Lantz
    Post count: 4836

    I am trying to establish what documents a new hire should provide to an employer when starting work. My belief was that all new hires need to show that they have eligibility to work in Canada, by providing one of the following documents:

    Canadian birth certificate.
    Certificate of Canadian Citizenship.
    Canadian citizenship card.
    Certificate of Indian Status card.
    Valid Canadian passport.
    Confirmation of permanent residence in Canada.
    Permanent resident card for Canada.
    Record of landing.
    Valid work permit/ Visa with accompanying passport
    We have a current situation where a new hire does have their birth certificate, but all other documentation they have provided is in a different last name, therefore I believe we need a document to show the change of name i.e. a marriage certificate?
    The reason I am asking is that I am having some push back on this in my company and I just want to make sure we are legislatively compliant.
    Thank you!

    Conner Lantz
    Post count: 4836

    Hi Glenn and Alan, thank you so much for this. I am from the UK and a lot of my HR background is from over there, but proof of eligibility to work in Canada appears to be very similar to the UK’s right to work legislation. So I just wanted to check that I wasn’t getting confused.
    The other element of this conversation is that I work for a Security company and many of our employees believe that their Ontario Security Guard Licence proves that they have the right to work in Canada. From my reading through lots of information it has never been a document listed in any thing I can find. From my understanding¬† it does prove that they can work in Ontario as a Security guard but it doesn’t necessarily mean that they have the eligibility to still work in Canada. I think the confusion comes in because when they apply for the guard licence they must provide two ID documents, one of which proves they have eligibility to work in Canada. But my argument with just accepting the guard licence at the point of hire is how do we know that their eligibility document is still valid if we have never seen it? (this is more for temporary residents, but I like to make sure we are transparent, fair and consistent and do not discriminate against any new hire, so the policy stands for all)
    Would you be able to give me your view on the Guard Licence and what this ID can be used for in the hiring process.
    Thanks again!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.