HR Home Forums Community Vacation question

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

We have an employee that has been off on sick leave since September 5, 2019. Our annual vacation schedule is July 1-June 30. We are coming up on the end of our schedule, this employee had 8 days remaining and has asked if we would carry the days over to the next year. Normally we would not penalize anyone while off sick so the new vacation schedule would have given him another 15 days. From a ministry of labour stand point do we have to carry his 8 days forward plus give him the 15 for a total of 23 vacation days or should we allow the carry forward and prorate the days he might have accumulated?

Conner Lantz
    Keymaster

Here’s Alan’s response. Feel free to loop back with me if u need further help. glennd@bongarde.com
    There’s really two parts to this question, one asked and one not.
    The asked question is about the balance carried forward for the vacation year, while the person was off on sick leave. From the 15 days the person is entitled to, I take this means 3 weeks. What I don’t know is the length of the person’s service. If this is over 5 years, then any days remaining have to be carried forward. If the person’s service is less than 5 years, then only the portion remaining that relates to the first 2 weeks must be carried forward.
    The implied question is whether the person is entitled to a full 15 vacation days for the current year. As of 2017, a person’s vacation entitlement in Ontario can not be reduced for periods of inactive service.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.