HR Home Forums Community Separate Job on top of employee’s main role

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello,
    My organization is looking for some part-time administrative help, and I am wondering how I might allow a current staff to do this work without needing to pay them overtime. The admin. work is a completely separate jot and paid hourly whereas this staff is salaried. They want to do the admin. work to make some extra cash. Is it legal for me to give them a “second jot” and how can I do so without any legal ramifications or needing to follow overtime rules? I essentially want to keep paying their salary and give them this hourly wage for hours worked over that.

Rick Tobin
    Keymaster

You should treat the second “gig” as a separate contract and the employee as a contractor for the project to avoid issues with employment standards.

We would recommend compensating this position based on a project rate or piece rate as well.

Considerations
    1. Think about the possible impact this could have on their salaried role performance; what are you going to do if they are tired from working all night on the secondary gig and underperforming in their salaried work?
    2. Be clear about expectations and that there is no cross-over between the 2 roles. The employee cannot double dip and do gig work on salaried time.
    3. Be clear on how performance is evaluated in each role.
    4. Have the employee submit an invoice for the gig work.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.