HR Home Forums Community national-truth-and-reconciliation-day

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

According to your site, this holiday comes into effect this year. In the Canada Labour Code, this holiday does not mention this day as a new holiday. Why the difference?

Conner Lantz
    Keymaster

Nope. Neither does mine. I use the CanLII version of the Canada Labour Code, which still hasn’t added the new holiday to the definition of “General holiday.” And neither does the one on the Justice Department site. That’s not all that surprising. It sometimes takes a while for governments to revise legislation after amendments are adopted and take effect. I remember it took Quebec over 5 years to change its WHMIS/SIMDUT laws after the 2015 GHS. Those laws were still referring to “MSDS” even though that document had been replaced by the SDS years earlier.
    In addition, Bill 5, https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/N-4.5/FullText.html  which provides for the new holiday, only passed a few months ago. They’ll eventually add the holiday. But it definitely happens on Sept. 30 this year.   Great question and I hope that answers it. Glenn

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.