HR Home Forums Community Documents to prove eligibility to work in Canada

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • Conner Lantz
    Post count: 4836

    I am trying to establish what documents a new hire should provide to an employer when starting work. My belief was that all new hires need to show that they have eligibility to work in Canada, by providing one of the following documents:

    Canadian birth certificate.
    Certificate of Canadian Citizenship.
    Canadian citizenship card.
    Certificate of Indian Status card.
    Valid Canadian passport.
    Confirmation of permanent residence in Canada.
    Permanent resident card for Canada.
    Record of landing.
    Valid work permit/ Visa with accompanying passport
    We have a current situation where a new hire does have their birth certificate, but all other documentation they have provided is in a different last name, therefore I believe we need a document to show the change of name i.e. a marriage certificate?
    The reason I am asking is that I am having some push back on this in my company and I just want to make sure we are legislatively compliant.
    Thank you!

    Conner Lantz
    Post count: 4836

    One more thing: I forwarded your question to our payroll expert who may be able to answer the question. If so, I’ll relay the answer the moment I get it. Thanks again.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.