HR Home Forums Community Bill 124

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

We are trying to determine what limitations (regarding Bill 124) if any, exist in a particular situation we are working through.

We are implementing a new Non-union position which has a portfolio/structure that has not existed in our organization before. Components of the job have existed, but not one position responsible for tackling all areas. The moderation period for Non-union begins January 1 2022. We are wanting to know if we are limited in some way in the compensation that we can provide, even though it is a brand new position. The incumbent to the position also recently completed a course.
    We haven’t been able to find a clear answer when a newly created position is formed if we are still limited in some way.
    Hoping you can help!
    Thanks in advance!

Conner Lantz
    Keymaster

That’s a tough one. I’m far from an expert on Bill 124, but for what it’s worth, I think that limitations WOULD apply to new non-represented employees. Specifically, Section 19 says that the 1% cap applies to “NEW COMPENSATION ENTITLEMENTS” based on 12-month averages. Here’s the language:

“19 (1) During the applicable moderation period, no employer may provide to non-represented employees any incremental
    increases to existing compensation entitlements or for new compensation entitlements that in total equal more than one per cent
    on average for non-represented employees employed by the employer for each 12-month period of the moderation period.
    (2) For greater certainty, an increase in a salary rate under subsection 18 (1) is an increase to compensation entitlements for
    the purposes of subsection (1).”
    Unfortunately, there’s nothing in Regulations to amplify Section 19. Nor could I find any MOL guidance on the section.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.