LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
March 14: Saskatchewan released a framework for legalizing recreational cannabis in the province. Key details:
- Minimum age of consumption 19-years-old
- Zero tolerance for cannabis-impaired driving
- Ban on consumption in public places, schools and daycare centres
- Home production limit of 4 plants per household.
Feb. 1: The WCB modified the its policy for setting the wage base for workers who suffer a recurrence of a previous work injury covered by workers’ comp after returning to work. Highlights of “Wage Base–(POL & PRO 18/2017)”:
- Use of a recurrent wage base based on whether worker returned long enough to demonstrate ability to manage full requirements of employment
- New procedure for determining if current symptoms are a recurrence or a new injury
Clearer formula for calculating recurrent wage base.