LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
May 1: The following increases will take effect as part of the government’s new 4-year plan to bring the minimum wage to a ratio equivalent to 50% of the average hourly rate ($23.73 for 2017-18) by 2020:
- General minimum wage: $12 (+75¢)
- Tip earner minimum wage: $9.80 (+60¢)
- Raspberry picker minimum wage: $3.56 per kg (+23¢)
- Strawberry picker minimum wage: 95¢ per kg (+6¢).
Feb. 22: New enhancements to the QPP mirroring similar federal enhancements to the CPP received royal assent. Highlights of Bill 149:
- New supplemental QPP component to be implemented in 2019
- Projected increase in retirement pension from public plan from 25% to 33.33%
- Increases to disability pension and surviving spouse’s pension to reflect contributions to supplementary plan
- Gradual rise in contributions over 7 years, from 2019 to 2025
- Increase in maximum eligible earnings (MGA), i.e., maximum wage on which a worker contributes to QPP, by 14%
- Contributions to new supplementary scheme and benefits from it to be subject of separate accounting.
March: New RQ forms and publications (so far):
- In-309-V, Voluntary Disclosure: Rectifying Your Tax Situation
- LM-15-V, Voluntary Disclosure
- For-6895.1-V, Seizable Portion of an Employee’s Income (Support Payments)
- For-6895-V, Seizable Portion of an Employee’s Income (Tax Debt).