LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
June 12: Significant Labour Standards Act changes under Bill 176 passed the National Assembly and have begun being phased into effect. Highlights:
- Equal pay rights for part-timers, temps and temporary foreign workers
- New right to stagger work week schedules without CNESST approval
- Broader work refusal rights for employees
- Extra week of vacation pay for employees with 3+ years of continuous service
- Domestic violence leave
- Right of employees to be paid for absences related to family obligations
- Clarification that verbal comments, actions or gestures of a sexual nature count as psychological harassment
- Employer duty to adopt and distribute policy and procedure for preventing, investigating and responding to psychological harassment complaints
- Employer duty to notify CNESST of psychological harassment complaints received without delay.
June 12: Unions are hailing passage of a new labour law banning employers from imposing two-tier pension and benefit plans in which new employees receive benefits that are inferior to existing employees. Limitation: The law covers only new agreements and doesn’t provide for transitional measures to resolve two-tier discrepancies existing in current collective agreements.
June 7: Quebec and Manitoba have joined forces in opposing a key part of the federal government’s legalization plan: allowing for home cultivation of recreational cannabis. Both provinces have thumbed their nose at Ottawa by including bans on home cultivation and limiting legal cultivation to licensed providers in their own legislation. Litigation is sure to follow so stay tuned.
May 17: Quebec has teamed with the federal government on a pilot project to provide $6.4 million worth of EI funding to provide skills training and employment support for seasonal workers and businesses.
May 18: CNESST has decided to keep the 2019 average Occupational Health and Safety Fund contribution rate at $1.79 per $100 assessable payroll.
June: New RQ forms and publications (so far):
- IN-245-V, The Work Premium, Adapted Work Premium and Supplement to the Work Premium
- TPZ-1029.8.F.C-V, Notice of Change in Situation: Advance Payments of the Tax Credit for Childcare Expenses
- TPZ-1029.8.F-V, Tax Credit for Childcare Expenses: Application for Advance Payments
- ADM-527, Plan d’action 2018-2019.