LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
May 1: The following increases will take effect as part of the government’s new 4-year plan to bring the minimum wage to a ratio equivalent to 50% of the average hourly rate ($23.73 for 2017-18) by 2020:
- General minimum wage: $12 (+75¢)
- Tip earner minimum wage: $9.80 (+60¢)
- Raspberry picker minimum wage: $3.56 per kg (+23¢)
- Strawberry picker minimum wage: 95¢ per kg (+6¢).
March 20: Newly tabled Bill 176 is in some ways the Québec version of Ontario’s Bill 148, sans a $15 minimum wage. Key provisions in this sweeping LSA reform bill (Click here for more details):
- Equal pay rights for part-timers, temps and temporary foreign workers
- New right to stagger work week schedules without CNESST approval
- Broader work refusal rights for employees
- Extra week of vacation pay for employees with 3+ years of continuous service
- Domestic violence leave
- Right of employees to be paid for absences related to family obligations.
March 20: In addition to the wages, benefits and absence provisions described above, Bill 176 broadens current LSA psychological harassment protections by:
- Clarifying that verbal comments, actions or gestures of a sexual nature count as psychological harassment
- Requiring employers to adopt and distribute a policy for preventing psychological harassment and procedure for filing, investigating and responding to complaints
- Notify CNESST of psychological harassment complaints received without delay.
March 22: Newly tabled Bill 174 would expand employees’ QPIP parental leave rights. Highlights:
- Employee right to bank up to 10 days of unused parental leave for future use for up to 3 years
- Extend window for using QPIP parental benefits from 52 to 104 weeks
- Exclusive 5-week benefits for each adoptive parent and 32 weeks of adoption benefits shared between the parents
- Employee right, with employer’s consent, to allocate parental leave over a period of 2-years interspersed return to work.
April: New RQ forms and publications (so far):
- RLZ-1.ST-V, Summary of Source Deductions and Employer Contributions
- TPZ-1029.8.PS-V, Supplement to the Work Premium: Application for Advance Payments
- BNZ-111-V, Proof of Claim
- FP-4615-V, Election to Treat Actual Taxable Supplies Made by an Employer to a Pension Entity or Master Pension Entity as Being Made for No Consideration, or Revocation of Such an Election
- IN-307-V, New Businesses and Taxation
- LE-34.1.12-V, Reduction of the Contribution to the Health Services Fund: Creation of Specialized Jobs.