Ask the ExpertHow to pay workers who stay only one day
hri_Admin Staff asked 4 years ago

We had hired a few new employees, but they only worked the day and then said they will not be returning.  Is this considered causal labor (where we can pay them in a cheque form) or do we need to add them to payroll?  One of them worked a full week with us. Does he need to go on payroll or can he go as casual labor?

1 Answers
Glenn Demby Staff answered 4 years ago

Yes. T4s are required in both cases.
What are termed the de minimis rules have two parts. A T4 is required if either of these conditions is met:

  • The taxable income exceeds $500; or
  • EI, CPP or income tax source deductions should have been taken.

Since EI is now on a first dollar basis, insurable earnings over roughly 60 cents (.01 / the current EI employee rate 0.0166) triggers the need for a T4 and hence putting a person on payroll.