- Does two weeks from, say, Monday to the Monday 2 weeks later?
- If it is 10 work days, does the day of the notice count? Lets assume I give the notice the first thing in the morning right when my boss walks in the door.
- How do planned vacation days or holidays affect the this two week period?
Thanks in advance!
From our payroll expert, Alan McEwan. I hope it answers your question:
- In Ontario, “weeks” means any 7 consecutive days, so 2 weeks may run from Wednesday in one calendar week, to the 2nd Tuesday following, i.e. 2 weeks notice given on Wednesday, July 6, 2022, ends on Tuesday, July 19.
- The day the written notice is given counts as the 1st day of the notice period (sub-section 89(4) of the Ontario Legislation Act).
- Statutory holidays have no impact on the length of the notice period, but vacation days taken are not part of the notice period, unless with employee agreement. For example, if an employee had booked vacation time on July 11 to 13, the notice period in the 2-week example above would run from July 6 to 10 and July 14 to 22, inclusive.