LAWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
July: The MOL has been quite busy updating the various guidelines affected by the upcoming ESC changes under Bill 17: The Fair and Family-friendly Workplaces Act, which are scheduled to take effect on Jan. 1. Click here for a summary of the key ESC changes.
July 17: The Alberta Entrepeneurship Incubator Program will provide $1.5 million in new funding to support recent grads, business people and other entrepreneurial individuals that want to start a new business in the province.
July 6: Key recommendations of the new review panel report on reforming Alberta’s workers’ comp system:
- Make return-to-work a mandatory requirement for injured/ill workers
- Create new independent office to ensure fairness of the WBC process
- More assistance with appeals and reviews for workers and employers
- More physician choices for injured workers
- Adjust benefits policies that are unfair to workers.